For those interested in dance education as it applies to the NYC Department of Education, I have posted materials here.  You may see how I align my design with public educational standards in the United States.  All subject areas, including dance, use the same 10 INTASC core principles in order to improve student achievement.  

Sample Fifth Grade Unit and Lesson Plans

This unit of study that culminates with a collaboratively created visual art product inspired by the dance photography of Lois Greenfield.

Lois Greenfield Photography                Peer Student Summative Activity

Reflections on Instructional Design

Here I reflect on my areas of growth during my first two years as a public school educator in correlation with coursework at Hunter College.

Hunter College Graduate Course

Reflection

Dance Methods I: Curriculum and Pedagogy for Productive Teaching and Learning

This was the first class I took part in during my graduate coursework at Hunter College.  It shed much light on issues in the field of education, specifically instructional design and considerations for dance.  I was nervous during the presentation of my first lesson anddid not know what components I needed to include. 

Child Adolescent Development

This inspiring class introduced me to a scientific approach to child development.  I was able to connect the theories of many educational philosophers studied during Methods I directly to the varying perspectives on child development.  This is an area of study that is particularly interesting to me, as I am interested in dance as it relates to executive function, metcognition, and neuroscience. I want to delve deeper into this content and design a data based research project tracking the executive function benefits of dance for both typical and exceptional students.  

Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive Classrooms

In this course, which I took having spent only a very limited amount of time in any public school setting, I learned many techniques to be applied to an Inclusive Classroom setting.  

Building the Foundations of Literacy in Adolescent Education

In this class I was asked to turn in a review of a mini-lesson I would present during the class. It would have made sense to complete a formal lesson plan, addressing all 10 InTASC Core Teaching Standards.

Assessment of Teaching and Learning in Adolescent Education

After taking this course I gained a grasp of the importance of assessment, but am still trying to understand the subtleties of how it is applied in dance.  One realization is that in the dance discipline, feedback is often immediate, given by teacher or self, and there is simply no hiding or 'not doing it.'  

Practicum- EdTPA

In this class I was coached to create a mastery level Unit of dance instruction with Special Education considerations and formative and summative assessment techniques.  It was my first time being asked to write a Unit of this caliber and took many revisions by myself.  I began to see the planning as a kind of complex puzzle and realized the depth of thinking educators engage in when designing effective instruction.  

Dance Methods II: Advanced Curriculum Design and Pedagogy for Productive Teaching and Learning

During this class we discussed areas of concern regarding the politics of arts instruction as well as management, content, and planning.  Although it seemed daunting at first, now lesson planning is an engaging activity.  Each Unit and its correlation to student prior knowledge and student identity is a fun puzzle to create, assemble, and dismantle again and again in the name of effective learning.