Philosophy on Literacy:

Reading can take you to a million new places, without ever leaving your home.  Being able to read a write opens up your life to endless possibilities. Humans need literacy to be able to connect to each other on a larger scale.  Literacy can help show you that you are not alone in your thoughts, that there are people all around you feeling, thinking and pushing through the same struggles as you.  

I teach literacy because I know how powerful it can be.  Being in the classroom everyday, I see the children who are struggling to identify themselves as readers.  I see the students who see reading as a chore, something to dread. But I’ve also seen first hand, the students who transform into readers.  Students who suddenly are opened up to the joys of literacy. There is no better feeling.

All children come into the classroom with their own unique ways of learning, thinking and expressing themselves.  It is my job to foster those skills and help my students feel confident in using them. As much as I want my students to learn the curriculum that we teach, I want them to learn new ways of thinking, new ways of seeing their world and I want them to know that they already possess skills that are unique to them.  

After reading Paulo Freire’s work, I started listening to my students in a different way.  I stopped focusing so much on what I had to teach them, instead I started looking to see what they already knew.  Teachers constantly learn from their students but after reading Freire’s work I started learning more about my students.  I believe that you should walk into the classroom ready to see what your students already know, to see all of the unique ways they already think.  Taking that stance automatically places more power into the students' hands. I’ve seen a difference when I take this stance. My students notice when I treat them as though they are already very intelligent thinkers who have everything to offer our classroom.  Each student has valuable knowledge that they are encouraged and inspired to share. When students feel empowered and confident they are more likely to participate and take chances. It gives the students an incentive to learn more when they believe that they are intelligent, important members of the class to begin with.  

One of the first steps of literacy is identifying yourself as a reader.  One big step in identifying yourself as a reader is first finding books that you love to read.  Therefore, it is very important to have time for students to choose their own books.  I have been steadily building a library that is diverse.  Each week my students have time to choose new books and return finished ones.  If students are really struggling to find a book that interests them they have opportunities to check the school library, or sometimes other teachers' libraries.  The classroom librarian is a very important job and students know that our library is a special place that is treated with care.  By making the library a welcoming, bright and organized space, it is a place in my classroom that all students enjoy. 

Literacy is essential for all aspects of student learning.  Students must be excited to read and write!  I assess my students constantly with both summative and formative assessments.  I use these assessments to inform my instruction.  In my classroom I utilize small groups to implement targeted instruction to my students.  I also ensure that I check in with each individual student at least once a week.  In my classroom my students and I are on the same team.  We are both working to help them become as successful as they can be in fourth grade.  

Reflection:

Reflecting back on everything I’ve experienced throughout this literacy program, I have learned so much.  Almost all my my learning has been rooted in reflection, collaboration with peers and professors, and then change in instruction.  The system of learning a new skill or strategy in class, being able to implement it in my classroom, and then discussing the following week in class with my peers has been incredible.  I’ve learned so much since starting this program and I hope to continue to grow and learn as my career continues. 

One class that really I feel was very eye opening to me was EDLIT 733: Theories and Process in Teaching Writing.  This was a class that I found a lot of joy from as well as useful experiences that have helped push my learning. I still use the teaching model that Professor Fusco taught us.  Professor Fusco taught me how important it is to model for your students. She made us all into writers and took the role of the writing teacher. Throughout the whole course she was modeling to us how to be a great writing teacher by showing us.  Professor Fusco also taught me the importance of giving students choice. She also recreated the frustration of not knowing what to write about and the fear of sharing with peers. Being able to put myself in the shoes of my writing students helped me change into a more empathetic and patient teacher of writing.  This has made me into a much stronger teacher.  The impact of this class has had a great impact on my students.  They are met with a more understaning and empathetic teacher and in turn are able to open up and feel comfortable in my classroom.  This class has also helped me to be more understanding of my colleagues.  I know how one great person can change your whole teaching perspective!  It has made me a more focused teacher and a better friend to my colleagues.  

As mentioned earlier my long term goal is to continue to be a student while teaching.  My short term and long term goals are to continue to push myself to learn best practices for my students and to be constantly growing and changing.  It’s a really amazing experience to be both a teacher and a student at the same time.  I hope to do this by continuing my education but also by really learning from my students.  Each student is unique and has his or her own individual needs. I believe great teachers never stop learning from their students.  I hope to continue to strive to learn about each individual and use my education to teach them in the best ways possible.

References:

Freire, Paulo. (2000) Pedagogy of the oppressed. New York : Continuum.