I am currently a 4th grade teacher at a public school in New York City. My school is departmentalized so I have the privilege of teaching reading, writing and social studies to two very unique classes.  One of my classes is an ICT classroom, where I have a special education teacher who co-teaches with me. My other class is for gifted and talented children and I teach them without a co-teacherFirst and foremost, I try to make my classroom as warm and welcoming as possible.  I truly believe that children cannot learn until they feel safe and comfortable. It is always my main priority to make my students feel as though our classroom is a safe space for them.

I knew that I wanted to be a teacher in fourth grade.  I had an amazing fourth grade teacher named Mrs. Fassenfeld.  She was bright, warm, exciting, accepting and loving of all students.  She truly made all students feel important and special in her classroom.  I had always liked my teachers before but none of them had made me feel as noticed as Mrs. Fassenfeld.  I know that what I want most out of my career is to make other children feel that feeling of acceptance and fun from their teacher.  I learned so much from her, the whole time having fun. My year in fourth grade I looked forward to going to school every day. Growing up I was a very shy child.  There were many teachers that would overlook me or dismiss me as just a quiet kid.  Ms. Fassenfeld made me feel special and important by joking with me and laughing with me.  Her genuine attitude made each student feel like she really liked them.  She was not just nice to all of her students she made all of her students feel as though she liked them.  I hope that I can be that person for my students.  The teacher that makes them excited to go to school in the morning because I have a classroom filled with positivity and excitement for learning.

One of the reasons that I chose to enroll in this literacy program is because I love to read.  Reading has gotten me through so many hard times in my life. Everyone should feel that connection between themselves and an author they’ve never met.  Reading makes you feel as though you are not alone. Others have felt the same feelings you have. I think it is so important for everyone to have an outlet like this.  The book, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee was a huge inspiration during different points in my lifetime.  This was a book that gave me a strong connection to my grandmother.  She had given me a copy for my birthday one year and included a small hand written note inside the front cover.  I read it for the first time in elementary school and I reread that novel every few years.  Each time I read it, I learn something new and feel a connection to a different character. Another reason that I wanted to pursue a degree in literacy was because I’ve seen first hand how many students feel dread when a book is placed in front of them. So many students feel as though reading is too hard for them or too boring.  It is one of my main goals as an educator to help as many students as I can to realize their love of reading. I believe that once students have that love for reading, they will never lose it.